Alpha Academy Charter School
Parent and Family Engagement Policy
Alpha Academy Charter School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
Put into operation programs, activities and procedures for the involvement of parents in all of its schools with Title I, Part A programs, consistent with section 1118 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Those programs, activities and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children.
Consistent with section 1118, the school district will work with its schools to ensure that the required school-level parental involvement policies meet the requirements of section 1118(b) of the ESEA, and each include, as a component, a school-parent compact consistent with section 1118(d) of the ESEA.
Incorporate this district-wide parental involvement policy into its LEA plan developed under section 1112 of the ESEA.
Will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports required under section 1111 of the ESEA in an understandable and uniform format and, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents understand.
If the LEA plan for Title I, Part A, developed under section 1112 of the ESEA, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school district will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school district submits the plan to the State Department of Education.
Will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the 1 percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement is spent, and will ensure that not less than 95 percent of the one percent reserved goes directly to the schools.
Will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and expects that its Title I schools will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
Will inform parents and parental organizations of the purpose and existence of the Parental Information and Resource Center in the State.
PART II. DESCRIPTION OF HOW ALPHA ACADEMY WILL IMPLEMENT REQUIRED DISTRICT WIDE PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
1. Alpha Academy Charter will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its parental involvement plan under section 1112 of the ESEA:
Provide notification to parents in a timely manner through letters and/or phone calls
2. Alpha Academy Charter will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under section 1116 of the ESEA:
Notification through the school website, availability in the front office upon request, and availability in written format upon request
3. Alpha Academy Charter will provide the following necessary coordination, technical assistance, and other support to assist Title I, Part A schools in planning and implementing effective parental involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance:
Collaborate with parents from elementary, middle, and high school levels and the meetings will be held at various and convenient times to encourage parents to attend. Parents will be notified of meetings through school newsletters and the school website.
4. Alpha Academy Charter will coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies in Part A with parental involvement strategies under the following other programs: [Insert programs, such as: Head Start, Reading First, Early Reading First, Even Start, Parents As Teachers, Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youngsters, and State-operated preschool programs], by:
Collaborate with the Pre – Kindergarten Program and Action Pathways Headstart Program to provide a transition program
5. Alpha Academy Charter will take the following actions to conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy in improving the quality of its Title I, Part A schools. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities (with particular attention to parents who are economically disadvantaged, are disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background). The school district will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
Parental Involvement @ Parent Meetings
Incentive to class with the greatest % of parents attending, distribute parental information, offer translation services
Responsibilities for High Student Academic Achievement
- Alpha Academy will build the schools’ and parent’s capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school involved, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, through the following activities specifically described below:
A. Alpha Academy Charter will provide assistance to parents of children served by the school district or school, as appropriate, in understanding topics such as the following, by undertaking the actions described in this paragraph —
the State’s academic content standards,
the State’s student academic achievement standards,
the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
the requirements of Part A,
how to monitor their child’s progress, and
how to work with educators:
Family Curriculum Night
Parent Participation in academic activities
Maintain Parent contact logs
Highlights of resources on the standards
School – Sponsored training sessions
School Parent Agreements, located in the student handbooks
B. Alpha Academy Charter will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training, and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement, by:
Ensure that information about school and other parent programs, meetings, and other activities are sent to parents in a language that parents understand
C. Alpha Academy will educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools, by:
On-site professional development opportunities and web-based learning opportunities
D. Alpha Academy will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Head Start, Reading First, Early Reading First, Even Start, Home Instruction Programs for Preschool Youngsters, the Parents as Teachers Program, and public preschool and other programs, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children, by:
Develop and execute a MOU with Pathways Headstart, flyers to parents notifying them of various activity, and during the spring plan and implement a parent transition day
E. Alpha Academy will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand:
Letters, flyers, and newsletters will be written to parents in an understandable language prior to distribution